No one likes basic nowadays! After all, who would want to live inside four white walls? Well, I don’t, and I bet neither do you!
Here comes the idea of redecorating your house. But, if you are into art and craft and switch up your décor regularly, you know it is quite expensive. So, what’s the alternative for this?
Well, you have full freedom to redecorate your room and explore your personal style, but if money is stopping you, don’t worry! You can repurpose things you already own and make your decorative pieces.
Are you still confused? Here some of the fantastic DIY art and craft ideas that can spruce up your space. You will be amazed to know that these ideas are refreshing, killer, and pretty easy. Whether you love a rustic look or relaxing vibe, this article covers all of them.
So, without further ado, grab your colored pens, paints and a glue gun to get started.
1. Geometric Felt Coasters
Everyone wants to include things in their décor that are both beautiful and practical. For this, you can make a few felt coasters to serve drinks to your guests in style. Or, you can make an exquisite and handmade housewarming gift with these coasters.
Whether you want a new coaster for your cups, or you just want to steal some gasps from your friends, these geometric coasters are all that you need. So, just count how many do you need and start making the coasters along with us.
Materials needed: 3mm thick felt, cork tiles, plain cardstock, scissors, craft glue, utility knife, cutting mat, ballpoint pen, and straight-edge ruler
- Cut a 3.5 cm wide strip of any length from the cardstock.
- Then, mark 4 cm intervals on each side of the strip. However, make sure to mark a 2 cm interval on one side only before marking the ‘4’. Draw linking lines at the base of each mark, as shown in the image. You will start to notice diamonds.
- Use the knife and the straight edge to separate these diamonds.
- Measure and cut a 3.5 cm wide strip of felt.
- Place one of the cardstock diamonds on top of the felt, the top and bottom edges aligned. These should be firmly pinched between the thumbs and the index finger.
- Now, carefully cut along the other two edges with scissors.
- Repeat the above step until you have sufficient diamonds in each color. Twenty-four diamonds will make four coasters.
- Now, you need to place these diamonds on the cork and trace its arrangement with a pen. Now cut the exact shape and paste the diamonds onto the place. Let them dry. Now, your coasters are ready to use.
2. Rainbow Canvas Wall Art
Do you love hangings? Well, if yes, now you can make one yourself and uplift your décor. Whether you want to enhance the look of your master bedroom and add some vibrant hues to your living room, this wall hanging would do the job just right.
You only need to add a touch of imagination to your rooms, and this wall hanging will do the rest of the trick. Featuring a simple yet rainbow look, this canvas wall art will impart great color and style to your indoor. Let’s have a look at how you can make this simple masterpiece.
Materials needed: canvas, paint, paintbrushes, wood glue, scissors, yarn, clamps, pompom, ring hangers, wood stain, two basswood sheets, rubber, and a drill
- Cut the canvas according to your preferred size. Now, fold 1 inch from each side and secure it with the glue.
- If you notice any wrinkles, remove them with the help of an iron.
- Now, draw and paint as per your preference and keep it aside for drying.
- Paste the yarn or any other embellishment you have at your home, as shown in the picture.
- Now, cut some colorful pompoms from the trim. Paste these pompoms to the canvas as well.
- Paste the trim to the bottom edge of the canvas.
- Paint the basswood sheet. After the layer has dried completely, paste the top of the canvas to the sheet and apply some more glue.
- Now, position the second basswood sheet and lock it with clamps. Leave it overnight to dry.
- Lastly, drill a couple of holes and screw in the ring hangers to hang it in your room.
3. Customized Jute Rug
Who doesn’t love a plush rug in their bedroom? A rich, soft rug not only adds some coziness to your room, but it also imparts some elegance and style to space. If you don’t want wall hangings or anything on your walls, a rug for your floor might be a good pick.
So, if you also want to take your décor up a notch, you can consider stylish rugs. And, honestly, there is nothing more satisfying than making a rug for your room yourself. Also, you can gift the rug to someone for a warming present.
Here is how you can customize a jute rug.
Material needed: a jute rug, readymade and matching trims, and a glue gun
- Cut synchronizing trims according to the length of your jute rug. Make sure to cut extra 4 inches to wrap the trim around the edges of the rug.
- Paste the trims as desired, either in a layer or individually, using the hot glue.
- For added effects, you can add more layers with sage fringe trim.
- Also, you can zigzag design by using the preferred trim. You are all set with your new customized rug.
4. Vibrant Mosaic Tiles
If you are a fan of vibrant colors, you must love the mosaic trend. Be it in the garden or the room; the mosaic style looks excellent everywhere.
Mosaic can go well on tiles, stones, and tabletop. But, here we will talk about mosaic pots. Yes, you can make your garden look attractive and graceful by growing some flowers in mosaic pots.
Materials needed: mosaic tiles and dots, pots, tile adhesive
- Use tile adhesive to paste mosaic dots and tiles to the pot, as shown in the picture.
- Now, fill in all the grooves and cracks by applying grout. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Further, use a wet sponge to even out and smooth the grout. Leave it overnight for drying.
- Lastly, wipe away the excess grout using a damp cloth.
And, your pot is ready featuring mosaic design.
5. Jewelry Tree
Whether you have some intricate jewelry you want to show off or just want to store your pieces safely, a jewelry tree is a great hanging option. But, the jewelry tree available in the market can be quite expensive. That doesn’t mean you can’t own one.
Here is how you can make your tree and keep your jewelry tangle-free. So, bring a little bit of Mother Nature inside by making this elegant jewelry tree for your room.
Materials needed: Tree branch, concrete plant pot saucer, super- strong glue, oil or timber wax, rubber chair leg tip and medium-grit sandpaper
Things to keep in mind:
- Make sure you choose a dead and thick branch with a few nubs
- The diameter of the rubber chair leg tip and saucer should be the same
- The glue should be able to bond masonry and plastic
- Paste the chair tip in the middle of the saucer and leave it overnight to dry. You must keep it as long as the bottle requires. Also, make sure the glue has a strong bond so that it does not get persuaded by the weight of the jewelry!
- Now, trim off any extra or too small branches using clippers. Also, trim the base flat.
- If you want to make your tree look lustrous, you can use sandpaper and wax. Use the sandpaper just enough that it removes the roughness of the bark. After this, give the branch 2-3 coats of wax.
- As soon as the glue and wax get dried, you need to place the branch in the chair tip. Ensure the fit is snug. If it is not snug, you can use a little amount of tape around the base and recheck the fit.
That’s it. The tree is all set to rock!
There are endless options to redecorate your room, and those were just a few. If you want a full house makeover, don’t get overwhelmed. Instead, start with easier things and then move on to difficult ones. Since all these were DIYs, you can select any one and take the look of your space to the next level.
Also, if you are into art and craft for some time, you won’t find any difficulty with creating any of these pieces.
So, transform your room into an elegant and stylish space to steal some praises from your guests! Get started and good luck with the redecoration!